PRESS PLAY TO CHECK OUT ALL KARL NOVA'S VIDEOS! PRESS PLAY AND LISTEN TO KARL NOVA'S ODDCAST BELOW
My photo
Emcee/singer/Poet/Blog Junky. I'm a freedom writer, Truth seeker, Truth speaker. A cheeky joker. hehehe I'm on a journey and documenting my experience...If You need to holla at me, Email me here: KarlNovaBookings@gmail.com

Blog Archive

#MEOMP: Talking about something that is worth talking about

If I could narrow down my goals as a creative person, I would say what I am trying to achieve is creating stuff that is undeniable and stuff that connects with hearts and minds.

 No one owes me attention. You have to earn people's attention. If anyone listens to my music or pays attention to what I do I take it as a blessing because the world of music is crowded. One thing that is for sure is that no matter how crowded it gets, no one can be me and tell my story. This quote by Martha Graham is so powerful: 

“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. ... No artist is pleased. [There is] no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others”

Recently I released #MEOMP Outtakes for free. #MEOMP stands for "Made 'Em On My Phone"
 I found some songs on my laptop that didn't fit on to the next project I am releasing which is "Made 'Em On My Phone" This project will be digitally out on August 13th on iTunes and all digital stores. This is the first time I am totally producing a project by myself from scratch. 


It sounds crazy to say I produced a whole project on my phone but this is where we are with technology today. Technology has really advanced hasn't it? This project is kind of statement on that. A smartphone really is a mini computer. I sent the project to Rodney Rockerz

who is a person I respect because he's like a big brother who has produced some of my biggest songs ("Whom Shall I fear?" "That could've been me" "Lord Help Me" "My Strength" "Let me Live") and he was really impressed with it. He said something to the effect of him needing to shake off the old mentality of how music is made. I could only smile.

It hurts sometimes to get rejected or overlooked when you put your heart and soul into something but my mentality is changing about though
 This thing is all much bigger than my fragile ego. It is on me to create something that is so amazing and excellent that it can sell itself. I know in this day and age it isn't really primarily about the music. People are caught up in name brands, people who are popular and even famous for being famous but I still believe if you create something amazing and if it connects that people will tell other people about it and word will spread. Spreading information by word of mouth will always be powerful. Recommendations from a trusted person are very influential 

For me the journey continues. I occupy a strange place in the scene I am from.

 Some would say I am established but I still feel like I am nowhere near that. I still feel like an underdog that is hungry and on the come up even though I have seen some amazing times that a beginner hasn't seen. It is a good place to be even though it can be frustrating and deflating. It keeps me humble and driven. You can't have a thin skin or no determination to go the distance. You won't last long if you think breaking through will happen overnight. You can't even really be attached to what outcome you desire. You have to keep your head down and do the work. You have to possess so much perseverance and endurance. It is a marathon not a sprint.


I am also in a place to promote others as a radio presenter. I have seen some people call me a DJ but I am not a DJ. All I do is present radio shows, share information and select tunes to play.  I am just a guy with a big mouth who loves conversation and finding out people's stories. A real DJ can mix live and move a crowd with tricks. I think that might be the next skill that I will acquire ;)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

PLTFRM SE7EN EP [SIDE A]

Deleted Scenes Mixtape

Outside My Bubble Mixtape [Side B]

Outside My Bubble Mixtape [Side A]

just as I AM: The Prequel [Special Edition]

Welcome to my world!

PLTFRM SE7EN [SIDE B]

The Frustrated Artist [Mixtape]

Made Em On My Phone [Outtakes]

Made 'Em On My Phone [Deluxe Version]

Skanksgivin' [Special Edition]


Recent Comments